BY PAUL MICHAEL CAMANIA JARAMILLO
Developers Dubai Holding have announced their plans to build the ‘Mall of the World’ a new 48 million square foot tourist district in Dubai that will host the world’s largest mall, a new cultural district, a theme park and 20,000 hotel rooms.
SM Mall of Asia, or MOA to local residents, in the Philippines occupies 4.38 million square feet.
The district’s 7km street network will be covered by a retractable roof during the summer months, creating the world’s first “temperature controlled city.”
With the tallest building in the world, as well as the biggest flower garden and largest aquarium on the planet, Dubai expects to have Mall of the World 180 million visitors a year once completed.
Located on Sheikh Zayed Road, the plans for the Mall of the World include:
- The world’s largest shopping mall, with a total of 8 million square feet of floor space
- 100 new hotels and serviced apartments buildings containing 20,000 hotel rooms
- Largest indoor family theme park in the world
- Cultural district including a theatre district modeled on New York’s Broadway, ‘The Celebration Walk’ modeled on Las Ramblas in Barcelona, and shopping streets based on London’s Oxford Street
- Dubai’s largest events centre, accommodating 15,000 people
- A 3 million square foot “wellness district” catering to medical tourists
- Temperature-controlled covered retail street network spreading over 7 km
No timeframe or budget has yet been announced for the Mall of the World, but Dubai Holding, the state-owned development company behind the project, hopes it will be the emirate's main focus at the UAE World Expo trade fair in 2020.
Get regular updates straight from your Facebook and Twitter accounts with The Blog of Innocence: SilentVoice Points. Make sure that you keep informed about the latest happenings around you. Be a fan of VoicePoints page on Facebook. Join the online conversation of the people behind your history. Follow and get some tweet updates from @voicepoints on Twitter. Discuss and be a part of this changing world. We believe in your voice. We believe in you. Shout! Speak your mind! Join now! You have the right. You have the freedom!