Boy Abunda opens up about partner Bong Quintana

 
45-year-old Bong Quintana with TV host Boy Abunda. Photo courtesy of the Philippine Entertainment Portal
 
Boy Abunda appears on the cover of StarStudio magazine's November 2013 issue, out on newsstands now.

Abunda revealed that at a young age, he already knew that he was gay despite having a father he described as "extremely macho." 
 
"Grade 2, malinaw na... I was probably different but it was not something that made me sulk," he explained. "It was a fun childhood, nakikipaglaro ako sa mga lalaki ng karate, maya-maya I was curling the hair of my girl friends. I played their games, but I didn't play basketball. It was my biggest insecurity, kasi sa seminaryo at bayan, kapag hindi ka naglaro ng basketball, effeminate ka 'di ba? The stereotypes, maaga pa lang sa buhay ko, na-expose na ako doon." 

Abunda, unlike in most cases, never felt the need to tell his parents or friends that he was gay.

"I never pretended to not be who I was, meaning I was not reprimanded because I was effeminate....I never came out to my mother or my father. They didn't sit me down, pull me aside and ask about my sexuality. Things just happened."
 
In the interview, Abunda also talked about his 30-year relationship with long-time partner, Bong Quintana. Abunda revealed the difficulties, as well as the twists in their love story.

"Bong is just so loved by Nanay and by my family...It was more difficult sa side ni Bong because Papa was a proud police officer. The irony is that n'ung umpisa, I wouldn't go to Bong's house because I didn't want to put Bong in a predicament where he wouldn't know what to do kasi he was raised in an extremely macho, athletic family."

The 58-year-old TV host said that he decided to join Quintana's family for lunch one Sunday and it was there that he found out that "Papa," his partner's father, was his biggest fan. 
 
"If my relationship with Papa at the start was very difficult, it turned out later to be the most beautiful relationship, as he turned out to be my biggest fan."

When Abunda, known for his fearless line of questioning, was asked on the subject of sex, he responded, laughing, "Can I talk about it?" he went on.
 
"As a gay person, I take that seriously. Wala talaga akong konsepto ng top or bottom. I should be honest kasi I ask questions, I should answer questions. I like the art of flirting, sa kiss masaya na ako, pero I don't go for top or bottom. I don't. I enjoy foreplay!"
 
Get regular updates straight from your Facebook and Twitter accounts with The Blog of Innocence: SilentVoice Points. Make sure that you keep informed about the latest happenings around you. Be a fan of VoicePoints page on Facebook. Join the online conversation of the people behind your history. Follow and get some tweet updates from @voicepoints on Twitter. Discuss and be a part of this changing world. We believe in your voice. We believe in you. Shout! Speak your mind! Join now! You have the right. You have the freedom!

Need advertising partners? Email us now silentvoicepoints@yahoo.com. Advertise with us!
 

0 comments:

SEARCH

Translate This Blog

Featured on

Featured on

ADVERTISE WITH US

ADVERTISE WITH US

ADVERTISE WITH US