The World at 7 BillionGo to main page.
In a World of 7 Billion People, 7 Billion Actions is a global initiative for all humanity
October 31, 2011, the world reached 7 Billion population. This unique moment in human history represents both an achievement and a challenge, and will have an impact on every single person on the planet. A world of seven billion has implications for sustainability, urbanization, access to health services and youth empowerment – however, it also offers a rare call-to-action opportunity to renew global commitment for a healthy and sustainable world.
As the United Nations agency responsible for marking this milestone, the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) is leading an innovative global campaign—7 Billion Actions—to build awareness around the opportunities and challenges of a world of seven billion people. UNFPA has enlisted a wide group of corporations, organizations, and individuals to deliver this unique initiative, using online, mobile and offline actions to tell the story of the people behind the number.
The initiative – Objectives7 Billion Actions aims to achieve two key objectives:
- Building global awareness around the opportunities and challenges associated with a world of seven billion people.
- Inspiring governments, NGOs, private sector, media, academia and individuals to take actions that will have a socially positive impact.
ThemesThe campaign will build awareness around seven key issues, then count the activities the campaign stimulates to address them. The issues are:
- Poverty and inequality;
- Women and girls empowerment;
- Reproductive health and rights;
- Young people;
- Ageing population;
TimingThe campaign’s key launching activities will take place in September and October, culminating on “7 Billion day” (31st October, 2011).
Given the campaign's intention to inform, mobilize and collate actions on several development priorities, the duration of the campaign extends well beyond 2011 and into 2012, with significant initiatives taking place at major United Nations milestones. Review processes related to the MDGs, the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD) Programme of Action at 20, the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development at Rio + 20 anniversary, are some of these global events.
Further, the Campaign will also feed into ongoing global efforts including the Secretary-General's initiative for Women's and Children's Health and the Global Campaign to End Violence Against Women, the Madrid at ten Conference on Ageing, fora on climate change and many more.
The Campaign will draw from and provide significant strategic input to several UN policy platforms, including the work of Regional Commissions, Human Rights, as well as the Commissions on population and development, social development and statistics.
Position your organization on 7 Billion Actions
- Connecting the vision of each participant to a broader development initiative. This campaign touches upon different issues, including poverty, gender equality, maternal and reproductive health, environment and urbanization, among many others, giving a wide overview of the status and challenges of human development. By framing their vision under the 7 Billion Actions initiative, partners will be able to better position their work and draw attention to their specific issues.
- Illustrating the exponential effect and impact that each partner’s work can have on global dynamics. Organizations of all kinds, in every part of the world, are creating innovative programmes that address issues associated with a world of 7 billion. For example, Women Deliver, a global advocacy organization bringing together voices from around the world, is working since 2007 to call for action against maternal death. 7 Billion Actions wants to build on what partners such as Women Deliver are doing, amplifying their work. By sharing their organization’s stories through the campaign platform, our partners they will inspire others to take action.
- Reaching new constituents, in particular young people, the primary users of the innovative mobile technology and social media that powers the campaign. 7 Billion Actions will nurture the interest and support of a new generation of young adults in specific development issues and in the organizations which support them;
- Leveraging the media attention through the campaign’s news room and team of journalists, who will be looking for good stories from partners related to the 7 key issues;
- Linking your organization’s website to the campaign’s shared platform, attracting new audiences and activists.