NLTSGO Experience: A Glimpse on a Leader’s Journey


     The Student Government Program is one of the major programs of the Department of Education under the Center for Students and Co-curricular Affairs. Every public and private elementary and secondary schools under the Department of Education (DepED) has its own student governments. They are usually called the Supreme Pupil Government or the SPG (for elementary) and Supreme Student Government or the SSG (for secondary).
     It is when I was a freshman I entered different organizations in our school and hold different offices. When I was in my second year life in the high school, I decided to be a part in one of the party lists. I won. Before campaigning, I joined the Division Leadership Training for Student Government Officers to enhance my leadership skills.
     September 5-8, 2008, when I first joined the National Leadership Training for Students Government at the Teachers’ Camp, Baguio City. Participating in all the plenary, break-out sessions and other activities. The excitement struck me most when we arrived at the Teacher’s Camp, Baguio City. There were so many people from all over the different regions, all were so unfamiliar face. Also the cold weather added spice to our Baguio trip. After arriving, we proceeded to Quezon Hall for the registration and to receive our bags, t – shirt, and the participant’s i.d. We stayed in Starwood Hotel.
     In my first NLTSGO Journey, I met new friends, student-leaders, mentors, artists. The hosts are Mr. Al Ian Barcelona and PJ Lanot.One of the speakers is Imelda Ramos. Met Pinoy Dream Academy Scholars and High School Musical personally.
     On our last day, we just tour around Baguio City. A long trip to Mines View Park, Philippine Military Academy, SM City Baguio and other places. The view was truly breath taking and I really appreciate our stay. 









     September 4-9, 2009, when I came back just to attend the 7th NLTSGO. I love the theme “New Beginning for Nation – Building: Seizing Opportunities, Sustaining Initiatives.” I really enjoyed every activity because this was the last NLTSGO I attended. I was fourth year student then.
     A crowd banging performance was presented by Rivermaya. I have given a chance to meet and greet Diether Ocampo. So tiring yet memorable.
     Mr. Chit Beltran, another guest speaker for that day also left a remarkable word to us. He taught us on how to choose the right leader. It is like a step by step way of thinking it over and over again. “ It is natural to be ignorant but it is bad to stay ignorant. “ he quoted. During the breakout session, the STRAINS has also given me a remarkable quote regarding on how to start to be a better leader in yourself. “Do not wait; the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and walk with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along.”
     We talked about “Sustaining our Efforts Toward Nation - Building”. How a sustainable leadership and challenges can help us build a better us for the future. The activities and sessions were great and most of all exciting. After our session with the STRAINS, we had our picture taking with them. I’ll be missing the plenary sessions and especially their energetic way of enjoying the way of teaching. “The Pacific Ring of fire” is one of my favorite cute way of making us energetic.
     The quote keeps on running on my mind “To seize an opportunity, I must know my strengths, I should know what I want, to be open and to create opportunities.”






     I felt sadness because that was my last NLTSGO experience. I will miss standing in a one line waiting for the foods (but worth it..eat all you can), cramming with a large number of student-leaders and mentors just to see the guests and artists, enjoying our room in the Starwood Hotel, the STRAINS and other trainers.











A memorable experience.. now I can proudly say “Ako ang simula ng pagbabago.


Truly the objectives of Student Government Program of the DepEd-CSCA was successful:
  • To train students to become the best leaders and citizens along the ideas and principles of participative democracy.
  • To help students develop leadership skills and values.
  • To make available real exposures, experience and learning in responsible and participative democracy and leadership.
  • To harness the SSG as a partner in achieving quality education and academic excellence.
  • To strengthen the studentry, and serve and protect their rights and welfare.


All Rights Reserved.

      0 comments:

      SEARCH

      Translate This Blog

      Featured on

      Featured on

      ADVERTISE WITH US

      ADVERTISE WITH US

      ADVERTISE WITH US